WHOLEHEARTED CONGRATULATIONS to all the CRT2012 Award Winners, with further congratulations to those award winners who have been proactive in publicising their awards: press releases and tweets included in the roundup below. This is an occasion when the UK Christian book and retail trade can rightly celebrate its achievements, and to those who haven’t shouted out their awards yet I simply offer you the words of Jesus himself:
You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven. (Mt 5.14-16, NRSV)
My thanks to Steve Briars, event organiser, for providing the full winners list, to Dave Lock for the photographs, with further thanks to the award sponsors, without whose support these awards simply would not happen.
I’ve split the awards into four sections:
- People and Publishers (includes Distributors and Suppliers)
- Places (the Bookshops)
- Products (Books, Music and Other Items)
- Wildcard (not telling)
Winners’ names are linked to twitter/facebook profiles and other links are included where known…
People and Publishers
Starting with two of our Elder Statesmen, if I may use such a term: gentlemen, I salute you both, and I fear my attempts below to summarise your remarkable and overlapping careers fail miserably to do either of you justice…
Guy, I think, is pretty well known to most of us, having served on the BA Christian Booksellers Group (BA CBG) for longer than I suspect he cares to remember during a career in retail that’s taken him from the Crusader Book Centre through St Andrew’s to Quench before his retirement at the end of 2011. Still actively involved with the Good Bookstall and Speaking Volumes (Christian Book Promotion Trust).
Eddie is equally well known I think, with a career spanning 10 years on the frontline as a bookseller before heading up STL in its prime whilst serving on the BA CBG followed by seven years as Charity Manager at CWR (I’m exhausted just constructing that sentence). Still with CWR on a part-time basis working on their Asian portfolio in Singapore whilst also serving as a trustee with Speaking Volumes (Christian Book Promotions Trust), blogging the book trade and now acting in a consultative role with CLC Wholesale as they review and refine their systems…
… which conveniently brings us to a wonderful double win for CLC:
- Distributor of the Year: CLC Wholesale
- Award Sponsor: Bible Society Enterprise
- Retail Group of the Year: CLC Bookshops
- Award Sponsor: Joining the Dots Distribution
CLC’s press release gives a modest summary of what they’ve achieved and a good indication of why the awards are so richly deserved, CLC wins two awards at trade event:
At the awards ceremony of Christian Resources Together, a trade fair for retailers and suppliers held 12th-13th June at The Hayes Conference Centre (Swanwick), CLC was chosen as Distributor of the Year and also as Retail Group of the Year. Both awards came as a surprise to the CLC folk at the event! They will certainly serve as a great encouragement to us all as we go about our daily tasks, seeking to get trustworthy resources into people’s hands so that lives are transformed.
National Director Phil Burnham accepted the Retail Group of the Year award on behalf of the team and paid tribute to our full and part time retail staff who, through their time and effort, have got us to where we are today. He also thanked the Christian trade for their prayers for the ministry.
Via this webpage, we would also like to make a special mention of the great work done by Geoff Fanning, our Head of Retail, who has had the sometimes onerous task of overseeing 21 bookshops and their teams. The past year has been exceptionally busy and challenging: we have relocated three bookshops (Inverness, Leicester & London) and have refitted one (Kingston), staff shortages (some due to illness or holidays) have brought about all sorts of creative solutions across the miles, and the many supply chain offers and changes have been little short of mind-boggling.
Chris Magee, our Head of Wholesale, accepted the Distributor of the Year award on behalf of the warehouse team. In his words of acknowledgement and thanks, he spoke of the commitment and dedication of the warehouse team, of their love for the Lord and for what they do in serving our valued customers.
Hot on the tail of CLC, it’s another double win, this time for Teal Press:
- Card & Gift Supplier of the Year: Teal Press
- Award Sponsor: Andrews Law Solicitors
- Sales Person of the Year: Jon Adams
- Award Sponsor: Christian Marketplace
Next up, an impressive double hat trick for Lion Hudson, with three awards, one for the third year running:
- Outstanding Contribution to Christian Publishing: Pat Alexander
- Award Sponsor: Association of Christian Writers
- Publisher of the Year: Lion Hudson
- Award Sponsor: Booksellers Association Christian Booksellers Group
- Reference Book of the Year: The One-Stop Bible Atlas, Nick Page
- Award Sponsor: CLC Wholesale
Here’s an excerpt from their press release, Lion Hudson Wins Top Award at Christian Resources Together 2012:
Lion Hudson is delighted to announce that we have once again been awarded Publisher of the Year at the Christian Resources Together 2012 Awards, sponsored by BA-CBG. This is the third year in a row that we have received this prestigious award!
We were also very proud to see The One-Stop Bible Atlas by Nick Page win the Reference Book of the Year award, sponsored by CLC Wholesale.
Topping the bill however was Pat Alexander, original co-founder of Lion Publishing, who was honoured with a special Outstanding Contribution to Christian Publishing award, sponsored by the Association of Christian Writers. Pat and her late husband David Alexander created the bestselling The Lion Handbook to the Bible. Pat is also the author of a number of Lion Children’s Books titles, notably the The Lion First Bible.
- Group Retail Shop of the Year: Faith Mission, Portadown
- Award Sponsor: Trust Media Distribution
Jim Mckee, Bookshop Manager, has updated his facebook profile photo with a shot of himself holding the award certificate: “This is for all the wonderful staff in portadown fm Bk shop and. Coffee shop…” (you may need to be on Jim’s friends list for access).
- Independent Large Retailer of the Year: Keith Jones, Bournemouth
- Runner Up: Christian Bookshop, Preston
- Award Sponsor: IVP
- Independent Small Retailer of the Year: Origin Books & Media, Woking
- Runner Up: Crown Books @ The Centre, Horsham
- Award Sponsor: CWR
- Bible of the Year: ESV Student Study Bible, Collins
- Award Sponsor: Quench Christian Bookshops
- Book of the Year: Simply Jesus, Tom Wright, SPCK
- Award Sponsor: Nielsen
Simply Jesus wins Book of the Year Award
Tom Wright’s recent bestseller, Simply Jesus, scooped the Book of the Year Award at this year’s Christian Resources Together conference in Swanwick, Derbyshire.
The event was attended by sales staff Raymond Witty and Alan Mordue. Alan, who accepted the award on behalf of SPCK, said “we are grateful to have an author on our list who appeals so broadly to both Christian and non-Christian readers.”
Announced by thinkivp eNews and on facebook:
- Children’s Book of the Year, Big Bible Challenge, Maggie Barfield, Scripture Union
- Award Sponsor: Merlio Retail Systems
Tweeted by Jo Pountney:
Tweeted by Jo Pountney and TM Distribution, Jo retweeted by Tyndale House:
Tweeted by Christian Resources Leicester:
- Contemporary Album of the Year: Light the Sky, Soul Survivor, Survivor/Kingsway
- Award Sponsor: Bible Society
3. Other Products
- Card & Gift Product of the Year, Sports Notebook, Penfold
- Award Sponsor: HarperCollins
Tweeted by and available from TM Distribution:
- Adult Media Product of the Year: Christianity Explored DVD, Rico Tice & Barry Cooper, The Good Book Company
- Award Sponsor: Cunninghams
- Children’s Media Product of the Year: What’s in the Bible? Wanderin’ in the Desert, Phil Vischer, Jellyfish/Kingsway
- Award Sponsor: Lion Hudson
Wildcard: the award that wasn’t made but should have been…
- Social Media Star of the Year: Melanie Carroll
I make this award on behalf of UKCBD for Melanie’s awesome tweeting throughout the event as well as her impressive use of social media — both facebook and twitter — through the rest of the year, not only on her own behalf but on behalf of the Good Bookstall. If you, beloved reader, are not following Melanie and the Good Bookstall on twitter, you should be:Follow @unicorntreebks Follow @GBSReviews
Eddie Olliffe comes in a close second, and you can see them both in unofficial tweet-up mode courtesy of Steve Mitchell; click through Steve’s link: you’ll be glad you did…
CRT2012: The Buzz…