… and you’d have to take a fast bus or fly to keep up with them all! After such a long time of hearing of shops closing down, it’s wonderfully encouraging and energising to hear of so many shops opening: spring has sprung in the Christian book trade! Here’s my attempt at a timeline — congratulations to all concerned:
1st March: Durham Cathedral Shop reopened — and Adrian Beney, Lay Chapter member, promises it’s going to get “bigger and better”: if you’re in the Durham area, get over there and give them some support!
6th March: Living Oasis, South Woodford: Official opening with Keith White, the man, so I understand, behind the original South Woodford Christian bookshop, Dove Books, before Wesley Owen came along. Local news reports
13th March: Living Oasis stores due to open in:
- Chester: with Lady Grace Sheppard.
- Harrow: 2pm, with Fiona Castle
- Inverness: 1pm, with the Revd Professor Andrew McGowan. Refreshments will be provided. Attending? RSVP on facebook!
- Leeds: 1pm, with Paul Blakey MBE, founder of Street Angels Halifax, followed by live music at 3pm with “Voices of Praise” Gospel Choir from the New Testament Church of God.
- Sutton: 11.30am, with MOBO award winning artist Victizzle (best Gospel artist 2009) and prayers from local church leaders. Discounts, special offers, refreshments, balloons. Attending? RSVP on facebook!
20th March: Living Oasis, Weston-Super-Mare: Official opening at 11:30am with Dave Hopwood, author of The Bloke’s Bible amongst other books. Refreshments will be served. Opening day offer: 10% off all purchases.
I’m still working my way through the UKCBD entries for the current and former Wesley Owen stores: my apologies in the meantime for any inconvenience caused to anyone for any out of date info. If anyone out there would care to sponsor the project to enable me to give it more time, please get in touch.
Day of Prayer
And finally, for now: momentum is gathering for the Day of Prayer, 26th March, with meetings planned all over the country: from as far afield as Motherwell up in North Lanarkshire to Battle down in East Sussex, from Belfast in the West to London in the South East. If you plan to take part, please feel free to leave a note on the Day of Prayer page saying when and where.