OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS a number of leading Christian publishers have switched distribution channels in what Brian Wilson, IVP’s Chief Executive, has described as “a totally unprecedented scale and speed of change, the like of which I have never witnessed in my 20 years in this trade.”
Those that have come to my attention so far are:
- AUTHENTIC MEDIA: Leaving TMD 24/3/2014; bringing distribution in-house but also available via CLC Wholesale  | Authentic Media Press Release 6/3/2014 (pdf, 111kb)
- BAKER PUBLISHING GROUP: During April 2014 all inventory is to be consolidated with Macmillan Distribution from the previous split with Marston. Trade representation remains as at present with Lion Hudson (Bethany House, Revell, Baker Books, Chosen and God’s Word Bibles) and SPCK (Baker Academic and Brazos Press). Selected titles also available from CLC Wholesale, Gardners and Joining the Dots. See comment below from Baker EVP David Lewis for more info.
- BIBLICA: Exclusive distribution agreement with IVP/Partnership Distribution
- BRF: Have left TMD; exclusive distribution agreement with IVP/Partnership Distribution (effective 10/3/2014) but also available via CLC Wholesale | BRF/IVP Joint Press Release March 2014 (pdf, 344kb; also posted under BRF News: BRF appoints IVP as its exclusive trade distributor)
- CHRISTIAN FOCUS: Leaving TMD; all titles available direct; increased range also available via CLC Wholesale and Gardners | Christian Focus Suppliers Update
- CWR: Leaving IVP/Partnership Distribution 31/3/2014; bringing distribution in-house but also available via CLC Wholesale and Joining the Dots 
- GOSPEL FOLIO PRESS: Distribution by John Ritchie as from 24/3/2014
- HARVEST HOUSE: Distribution agreement announced 3/4/2014 with IVP/Partnership Distribution; also available via CLC Wholesale
- JOHN RITCHIE: Have left TMD; distribution now in-house, effective 10/3/2014
- LIFEWAY: Available from IVP/Partnership Distribution and CLC Wholesale
- MOODY PUBLISHING: Distribution agreement announced 3/4/2014 with IVP/Partnership Distribution; also available via CLC Wholesale and Joining the Dots
- MYRTLEFIELD HOUSE PUBLISHING: Distribution by John Ritchie as from 24/3/2014
- ONWARDS & UPWARDS: Available from CLC Wholesale and Joining the Dots
- PENFOLD CARD & GIFT: Have left TMD; independent relaunch announced 28/3/2014; distribution via Marston announced 23/4/2014
- SCB SERVICES: Have left CLC Wholesale; distribution of Franklin Electronic Bibles now in-house (Southend Christian Bookshop Wholesale Services)
- SCOTTISH BIBLE SOCIETY: Exclusive distribution agreement with IVP/Partnership Distribution
- THOMAS NELSON/ZONDERVAN: Increased range available from IVP/Partnership Distribution; also available via CLC Wholesale and Joining the Dots
- TYNDALE HOUSE: Moving from TMD to IVP/Partnership Distribution: transfer of backorders in progress; also available via CLC Wholesale
- WATERBROOK MULTNOMAH: Exclusive distribution agreement signed with Authentic Media, stock expected early May 2014; also available via CLC Wholesale | Authentic Media Press Release 6/3/2014 (pdf, 111kb)
- YOUTHWORKS: Left IVP/Partnership Distribution 10/3/2014; now with 10ofthose.com
As of the original date of this post, 11/3/2014, no clarification of the situation had been issued by TMD. They had, however, given notice as follows to Steve Legg, editor/publisher of Sorted magazine and a range of related products:
Our Directors have been reviewing our distribution policy and we will no longer be supporting the distribution of self-published product and therefore we will be arranging to send product back to you over the coming days.
During the following week (19/3/2014) news emerged that the company had entered administration: Farewell to Carlisle’s Christian distribution service as TMD enters Administration.
Last but not least, Tearfund have announced that they are closing down their fairly traded gifts division, Created Gifts, originally known as Tearcraft: End of an Era for Created Gifts.
One important (in my opinion, because I love Fiona’s books) publisher that didn’t make CLC’s charts is Crafty Publishing: believe me, people, if you don’t stock Fiona’s Young David series, your children’s section has a major gap in it, and your younger customers — not to mention their parents — are missing out.