This Comments Policy was last updated 25/5/2013. It has been adapted from the Blog Herald’s Does Your Blog Have A Comments Policy?
The basic ground rules are simple, however: please keep your comments clean, polite and on-topic. Please remember that comments are conversation so please don’t SHOUT: comments that the blog owner or administrator (“we”) regard as abusive, inappropriate, off-topic, shouting or just plain snarky will either be deleted without notice, edited or marked as spam. Edited comments will normally be flagged accordingly; deleted comments will simply disappear. First comments (new commenters) will always be held in moderation.
Now here’s the heavy duty version:
- Completing the Comment Form: The comment form must be completed with a name (which may be a pseudonym: guidelines below) and a valid email address. Some HTML is permitted and relevant links are welcome, but comments which include multiple links will normally be held in moderation and may be treated as spam.
- Use of Pseudonyms: If you comment using a pseudonym, a message may be sent to confirm the validity of your email address: if that message bounces or no reply is received, your comment is likely to be treated as spam. Once you’ve adopted a pseudonym, please be consistent in your use of that pseudonym and the email address associated with it. Generic pseudonyms such as “Anon” or “Guest” are not permitted: comments posted using these or similar terms will either be deleted or reposted using the first part (before the @) of the commenter’s email address.
- Privacy: A valid email address is required for commenting but it will not be published on the blog or shared with any third party unless such disclosure is required under British law. We may use your email address to contact you privately. Any email or postal addresses, phone numbers or other private/personal information posted in comments may be deleted without notice. We may, however, cite the first part of your email address (before the @) in place of your name if you breach the Use of Pseudonyms guidelines above.
- Language and Manners: Comments will be deleted without notice if they:
- include offensive or inappropriate language or which we regard as such;
- do not add to the conversation, run off-topic or otherwise seem likely to disrupt the conversation;
- consist of personal attacks on either the blogger or other participants.
- are typed in ALL CAPS or make excessive use of capitals.
- How The Blogger Will Respond: Comments on this blog will normally only be responded to by further blog comment. The blogger will not normally engage in private correspondence unless the appropriate contact form is used.
- Comments that Do Not Appear: If you leave a comment on this blog which does not appear in a reasonable time period and you know that it does not violate this Comment Policy, please get in touch.
- Comment Spam: This blog uses the Akismet spam filter. If you’re a spammer, just go somewhere else: you’re wasting your time here.
- All Rights Reserved: We reserve the right to:
- edit, delete, move, or mark as spam any and all comments;
- republish or reuse any comments in part or in whole as we see fit;
- block any person or group from commenting or from the entire blog.
- Hold Harmless: All comments made on this blog are the responsibility of the commenter, not the blog owner, administrator, contributor, editor, or author. By leaving a comment on this blog, you agree that the comment content is your own, and you hold this site and all subsidiaries and representatives harmless from any and all repercussions, damages, or liability.
- Trackbacks and Pingbacks: Trackbacks and pingbacks will be treated in accordance with this Comments Policy.